The Grand Place
The Grand Place in Ieper (Ypres) is the second largest in Flanders after that of the city of Sint-Niklaas. It is lined with historic buildings such as the Cloth Hall. The square's pleasant cafés or restaurants are a great spot to stop for a while.
There are also many outdoor terraces to enjoy al-fresco drinks or dining when the weather is fine, as well as many shops selling pralines and other regional produce.
The impressive Cloth Hall is the star attraction of the historic centre. The original building was built in 1304. The Cloth Hall was virtually fully destroyed during the First World War and an identical replica was subsequently rebuilt.
This building, by which the Ieperlee canal used to flow, was used for the trade and storage of cloth. The first floor is now home to the In Flanders Fields museum. The Cloth Hall's central spire is the belfry. In days gone by, black cats were ceremonially thrown from this bell tower.
Today you can combine a visit to the In Flanders Field with a climb right to the top of the belfry.
The Saint-Martin Cathedral
This former Episcopal, Gothic-style Church was rebuilt after the Second World War. It houses the tomb of Count Robert III of Flanders, famously known as the 'Lion of Flanders'.